Physical Education Goals 2018-2019
Physical Education Goals
1. Develop higher levels of competency in skills and knowledge through a proper scope and sequence in a safe learning environment for all.
2. Nurture positive attitudes, good character traits, cooperation, social skills, and personal responsibility through movement experiences utilizing a multidisciplinary approach in the overall K-12 curriculum.
3. Utilize appropriate practices to accommodate developmental needs of students and provide them with meaningful and appropriate movement experiences.
4. Develop a strong sense of self-worth, an understanding of fitness components as well as gain an appreciation of life-long fitness and its positive benefits.
5. Provide opportunities for students to build confidence and competence in a variety of motor skills and movement experiences at all levels.
6. Foster maintenance of optimal physical fitness and attain competency in the knowledge and management of the body through useful physical skills.
7. Acquire movement skills and understand concepts needed to engage in health enhancing physical activity.
a. Demonstrate physical competency in individual and team sports, creative movement, leisure and work related activities.
b. Promote physical activity and fitness acquisition through a comprehensive curriculum focused on life-time involvement in sports and activities.
c. Provide experiences that encourage critical thinking and problem solving skills.
d. Analyze various movement concepts and applications that are age and developmentally appropriate.
e. Demonstrate knowledge of rules, safety and strategies during physical activity.
8. Achieve and maintain a health enhancing level of physical fitness upon continual self assessment.
a. Promote individual and group interaction related to health, wellness and social/emotional learning.
b. Know and apply the principles and components of health related fitness.
c. Assess individual fitness levels.
d. Set goals based on fitness data and develop, implement and monitor an individual fitness improvement plan.
9. Develop team building skills by working with others through physical activity.
a. Demonstrate individual responsibility during group physical activities.
b. Demonstrate cooperative skills during structured group physical activity.
10. Understand principles of health promotion and the prevention and treatment of illness and injury.
a. Explain the basic principles of health promotion (through diet, exercise and good nutrition), illness, prevention and safety.
b. Describe and explain the factors that influence health among individual, groups and communities.
c. Explain how the environment can affect health.
11. Understand human body systems and factors that influence growth and development.
a. Describe and explain the structure and functions of human body systems and how the interrelate.
b. Explain the effects of health related actions on the body systems.
c. Describe factors that affect growth and development.
12. Promote and enhance health and well-being through the use of effective communication and decision making skills.
a. Provide opportunities for leadership, responsibility, character education and social and emotional wellness.
b. Demonstrate procedures for communicating in positive ways, understanding differences and resolving conflict.
c. Apply decision making skills related to the protection and promotion of individual health
d. Demonstrate skills essential to enhancing health and avoiding dangerous situations