Summer Pesticide Parent Notice
School Year 2021-2022
Dear Parents, Guardians, and School Staff:
The Pesticide Neighbor Notification Law (section 409-h of Education Law) requires all public and nonpublic elementary and secondary schools to provide written notice to parents, guardians and staff of information regarding the potential use of pesticides during the school year. The district has implemented an Integrated Pest Management Program that minimizes the use of chemicals to control pests. However, because the use of pesticide products may become necessary during the school year, the district is required to maintain a list of parents, guardians, and staff who wish to receive 48-hour advance notification of a scheduled pesticide application (if a pest emergency exists which threatens staff/student health, and a 48-hour prior notification cannot be given, a good faith effort will be made to notify those on the registry prior to application).
The following applications are not subject to prior notification requirements:
- A school remains unoccupied for a continuous 72 hours following an application
- Anti-microbial products
- Nonvolatile rodenticides in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- Nonvolatile insecticidal baits in tamper resistant bait stations in areas inaccessible to children
- Silica gels and other non-volatile ready-to-use pastes, foams, or gels in areas inaccessible to children
- Boric acid and disodium octaborate tetrahydrate
- The application of EPA designated biopesticides
- The application of EPA designated exempt materials under 40CFR152.25
- The use of aerosol products with a direct spray in containers of 18 fluid ounces or less when used to protect individuals from imminent threat from stinging and biting insects including venomous spiders, bees, wasps and hornets.
Requests to be on this notification list should be made in writing and include the name of the school building that your child attends, and your name, address, day phone, evening phone, and e-mail address. The written request should be forwarded to the Middle CountrySD Business Office/Pest Management Representative, at 8-43rd Street, Centereach, NY 11720. For further information regarding the Integrated Pest Management Program, you may contact William Kidd at 631-285-8020.